Wednesday, July 13, 2011

The Antics of Kayleigh



If you read or saw Marley and Me, you can probably figure out how chaotic yet rewarding my life has been for the past seven years thanks to Kayleigh.

Just over an hour ago, I finished burying my beautiful Labrador Retriever. She passed away earlier today from complications from a gun shot. Since I can't sleep tonight due to my loss, I thought I would share some of the Marley Kayleigh and Me Moments.

From whole pizzas quickly robbed from the table after delivery to two pounds of raw hamburger, Kayleigh knew when to strike. She was quite mischievousness that way, but it was always hard to stay angry. She knew who to use her beautiful eyes, and she usually licked kissed her way out of trouble.

Kayleigh was always very motherly when she was given a new toy. She would take care of it like it was a puppy, which always made me sad because I never gave her the chance to make puppies. Eventually she would get bored and start trying to get the squeaker out of it.

Well add that to another list of things she probably ate. We figured out she ate it when she squeaked.

The first time I took her camping was a fiasco. She wasn't sure what to make out of the tent. I over course The first problem was the tent was cheap and it wasn't solid like a dome tent. It was a challenge to put up, and it was dark by the time we finally found a spot to camp along the Buffalo River. Needless to say, she didn't do well in the tent and it collapsed on us ending our trip. I packed it up and we wound up doing a late night hike in January. I am glad she was there though looking out for things that go bump in the night.

Kayleigh was a sweetheart though, and before she would go to bed, she would put one paw and her chin on my chest, kiss me good night (she was a licker), and then go to the foot of the bed. Needless to say, she was a jealous dog, especially since it was just me and her when I got her.

When I was finishing my degree, Kayleigh would get very jealous of the time I spent in the books. While I was at my laptop, Kayleigh would push her head up under my arms and demand attention. When I stopped petting her and she wasn't content, she would start with the head under the arms again.

There are so many special times that I will always treasure. I appreciate all the well wishes on this blog, Twitter, and Facebook from friends and people I haven't met that started following the Kayleigh story after she was shot. This has been a very hard day. I know she isn't hurting anymore, but I miss her and feel empty without her here demanding my attention. She was a unique character.

No comments:

Post a Comment