Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Kayleigh November 1, 2003-July 13, 2011 Rest in Peace Beautiful Girl



This is probably the hardest thing I have ever written. About 45 minutes ago, my beautiful girl died. I knew things weren't going good today, but I had hope that it was just going to be a tough day. Deep down inside, I could see she no longer wanted to fight, and perhaps I was selfish for trying to make her fight.

When I got home, she had vomited. I knew with each day she didn't eat, the harder it was going to be to get her strength. It appears the wound was too much for my hard-headed little girl. While I am no vet, the drool she started to show in the last couple hours was obviously suffocating her as her body fought hard to beat it.

I sat on the front yard, with her beautiful golden brown eyes looking up at me for those final moments telling her it was okay. She could go. I cried and talked to her about all the amazing times we had hiking and at the lake. She was such a good friend who probably deserved better sometimes as she had to bear with me in a little apartment as I finished my final year of college. She never complained.

Our time together was short. She was given to my friend Julie Reed as a young pup, and she was a terror, wrecking her house going through the trash. Julie had no patience for her and showed up at my house on January 1, 2004, saying take her or go to the pound.

Kayleigh on her first day home with me. We had an exciting trip to Petsmart
and the bicycle trail to test out the new leash.

I never had those problems with her and I quickly trained her, but life was a little tough because I was on the road a lot. So I trusted my friends daughter to keep an eye on her while I was on the road. There was a few times I would take her on business trips during the spring when the temperatures were cooler, and all the young dental assistants would see her and give her all the attention. She was a great deal closer. Unfortunately, she got bigger and it got hotter.

I tried to teach her how to fetch a stick and swim at the same time, but she never liked the water unless it was on her own terms. She looked at me like I was crazy when I told her to fetch. However, when it was on her own terms she loved the water like when she would go hiking with me.

We would go down to Shell Knob, Missouri, to Table Rock Lake. She would stay on the dock while I floated on a raft. If I floated to far away, she would start to wimper and eventually jump in swimming circles around me until I was close enough to the dock for her comfort.

It was in the past year that I really began dedicating time with her because I found a hobby that she could come along. Many of my readers read about our adventures together on the trails. When we were in the car, she would get so excited when she knew we were getting close to the forest. It was hard to contain her excitement and drive at the same time. She would always cram out of the car over me ready to hike. She loved hiking with the exception of the day last May when we were hiking White Rock Mountain, and she hurt her leg.

It was then I realized how much trust she had in me, as I had to leave her behind, leashed to my backpack, and get to the top of the mountain where my car was at. She never moved that backpack. She just knew I would be back. I let her rest and get back on her feet.

We had one more hike a couple weeks ago where I broke the rules and let her hike unleashed in Hocking Hills. She was Kayleigh at her finest, walking in front of me, energetic, strong, and happy. Little did I know those would be our final miles together.

Rest in peace my beautiful girl. I cry tonight knowing you were taken too soon from me. You gave me seven good years, patient with me when I couldn't give you the time you deserved, but thankful when I made up for it.

I love you Kayleigh. I can't imagine having a better dog. I miss you so much. It doesn't make sense that someone could shoot at such a beautiful dog without thinking how much that dog meant to its owner. I will never understand why it had to end this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment