After I took her home on Monday after her weekend stay at the Chillicothe Animal Hospital, I felt the need to get a second opinion about her condition, so I drove her to Dr. Thomas Tharps office. I could tell after a tough weekend, she was probably tired of being poked and prodded, but I still believed she was a survivor and wanted to live. Perhaps my first sign was offered in a funny moment.
The great staff at Dr. Tharp's office asked me to be there at 4:30. So I put Kayleigh in the car and jumped on US23. As I got to the US35/23 junction and wicked downpour hit the road. I slowed down because I don't like driving in the heavy rain. I eventually got to the exit and found Dr. Tharps office. The rain continued. I talked to Kayleigh telling her what the plan was, but she obviously didn't concur. I tried to get her to come across the car and exit on the driver's door side, but she fought me.
I was getting soaked. I closed the door and headed to her door. She jumped to the driver's side seat, fought me, and I became drenched. Then I had a plan. I folded the passenger seat down, closed the door, and walked over to the other side. When I opened the door, Kayleigh jumped to the folded seat, butted her head up against it, locking the seat to it's normal position, and gave me a look "I win."
That was the first time I felt that maybe she was telling me no more. Let me be.
I did manage to get her out of the car, and she showed a little more life once we got into the building introducing herself once again as the ultimate doggy diplomat to an Irish Setter. Soon we were taken back to the operatory and Dr. Tharp gave me excellent news about her health. He said he didn't believe she had a tumor and wouldn't recommend surgery based on her condition.
I felt we were going to make it. Little did I know we were entering her final 48 hours.
![]() |
| Kayleigh a couple months before she died ready to hike the Ozarks Highland Trail in Arkansas. |


No comments:
Post a Comment