Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Kayleigh Update Day 2 Home From the Hospital After Being Shot


Kayleigh had a good night of rest. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get her to eat yet, but she is drinking. Dr. Divine from Ozark says she is going to have to go through her process to end the shock and get comfortable again, and believes I must be patient with her and should see some improvement by Friday.

She is throwing up still, which means I have to make sure her pills are being processed and not pushed back up. Giving her pills isn't as easy as giving her a spoon of peanut butter. She wants nothing to do with the peanut butter, which means I have to forcefully open her mouth and put a peanut butter coated pill on the roof of her mouth knowing she will eventually swallow it. It's a challenge. I have a couple more pills to still give her this morning.

Dr. Thomas Tharp from Chillicothe called me this morning. He looked at Kayleigh yesterday as I sought a second opinion. He wanted to know how Kayleigh was doing. He was a little concerned about the color of her poop, so I will bring her next poop in for him to see. It's a darker poop. He thinks there could be blood in it. This isn't good. It could also be the antibiotics since they often kill the bacteria used in digestion. My poop matches the color of her poop when I am on antibiotics. I hope it's the latter.

He had me check on her gums. I guess an easy way to check on how your dog is feeling and whether there should be some concern is to press on the dogs gums. They should be pink, turn to white, and return to pink in about two seconds. Kayleigh passed the test.

She is resting right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment