Thursday, July 14, 2011
From Baby Doll to Kayleigh, Yes Her First Name Was Baby Doll
In September 2003 took a job working for Kodak as a sales rep in Southwest Missouri, Oklahoma, and Arkansas. About that same time, I began dating a girl named Julie. We had been going out casually for a number of weeks when her ex-husband gave her son a puppy.
I remember the first time I saw "Baby Doll." She was on the front porch, looking sad and unwanted, desperately wanting to be part of something. That was always her nature. If you were doing it, she wanted to be part of it. When I got into her small house near Pleasant Hope I figured out why she was on the front porch, but I was concerned for the puppy's safety since she lived on a county highway.
There was trash scattered from one end of the house to the other. It was a disaster and this puppy was the tornado that ripped through the garbage spreading it everywhere. Poor Julie was not happy, and she spent an hour that night cleaning, while I played with the tornado. I loved that puppy, and this probably didn't do much for the relationship. It was obvious it was going nowhere, but I still wanted to see the puppy. So I made an effort to still try to find time to see Julie to play with "Baby Doll."
The last time I went over there, the landlord discovered little "Baby Doll" and told Julie she had to get rid of the puppy. I thought nothing more of it because I assumed the ex-husband was going to take the puppy back from what I put together.
When 2004 came, so did the puppy. Julie called me. Either you take the "Baby Doll" or she's going to the pound. I said bring her over, but I refuse to call her "Baby Doll."
Soon the black Nissan truck pulled up and out jumped the tornado. I have to tell you, judging from the damage I saw at Julie's house I was a little bit nervous. I quickly let her know who was in charge and started giving her structure. Of course "Baby Doll" who had just became Kayleigh responded because someone was paying attention to her. Of course, I had a lot of figuring out to do. The logistics of having a puppy was going to be tough. After all, I was due in Atlanta for sales training in a few days, and then I was hitting the road with appointments in Arkansas and Oklahoma. Of course, I was a single guy who was a windshield warrior and a frequent flier.
Not only that, but I was planning on returning to school in September to finish my degree, and I had just applied for the University of Illinois Chicago. I really hadn't thought this puppy thing over, but I wasn't willing to let Kayleigh go to the pound, nor was I willing to not find a way. I have always been one who makes things happen in life.
I didn't want to think about these things. I wanted to play with my new pup, so I called my best friend from high school and asked if his kids wanted to see the puppy and take it to play at the park in Springfield. Plus I needed to hit PetSmart, and dogs are always welcome at PetSmart. This could be a way to attract women, I thought.
So picked up the kids and we drove to Springfield. I got it a crate, bowls, collars, food, and everything it needed. This puppy thing was expensive. Of course, I bought the crate and hated crating her, so that didn't last long--not to mention she grew out of it in the first few weeks and I need the next size up.
So I collared her up and we were off the Springfield Lake bike path to walk my new dog. I always wanted a dog that would walk calmly by my side and provide that companionship. Kayleigh was not that dog. She was a puller, and no matter how hard I tried to break it the harder she pulled. The one thing you probably know about Kayleigh after today is she was very hard headed. The smells along the trail always got the best of her, and the fight was on. This only changed in her last days of life, when I walked in front and she walked behind. Of course yesterday, we finally got it right, and a few hours later she had collapsed in the front yard.
I figured out what to do in Atlanta. Arrianne, my friends older daughter, said she would watch Kayleigh while I was away. I have to tell you it was hard to leave my little puppy, but I had a new responsibility to provide for. The entire time I was in Atlanta, I wanted to be with my puppy. I shared her picture with all my co-workers and told them this story. The day to fly home couldn't come soon enough, but just one problem, I had to be in Tulsa early the next day.
I went to Travis's house, picked up Kayleigh from Arrianne and battled about what to do with her while I was in Tulsa. So, I packed up the car, put in the dog food and bowls, and brought her with me. I drove to Miami right after getting off the airplane in Springfield. I found a hotel, but never asked about dogs. I just said I will sneak her in once I get checked in and hope nobody looks in my car as I check in.
My plan worked perfectly. I checked in, and then I went back to may car, stuffed my puppy in my coat and dragged everything in. Now I had to worry about her bark. For the first few times we did this, Kayleigh didn't bark. However, I wasn't always that lucky. So I learned how to muffle the bark while I was on the road.
It was always a challenge, but the dividend paid off. Before every sales demo, I would pull up next to the window of the office so everyone could see me. I would pull Kayleigh out put her on the leash and walk her. Then I would put her back in the car--it was still cool. The first question I was always asked...
Is that your puppy. I scored points.
Yeah I know, I shouldn't use my puppy like that, but I was so attached to her I didn't want to leave her with Arrianne every week.
That's the story of how Baby Doll became Kayleigh.
Labels:
Kayleigh
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment