Thursday, July 14, 2011
It's the Little Things Kayleigh Did that Touch the Lives of Many
For my loyal readers, thanks for allowing me to grieve today. I have really tried to carry on with my day and put Kayleigh to the back of my mind, but that's an impossible task. The phone calls, e-mails, and text messages from family and friends whose lives were touched by Kayleigh continue to come in.
I went for a drive today. It's funny. You know I bought my convertible with visions of Kayleigh in the front seat enjoying the ride. For some reason, she didn't seem to like the top down nearly as much as a hard top with the windows down. Just the sound of the power windows engaging perked her up, ready to hang her head out the window. Here ears would flap and so would the extra skin on her lower lips. It was always something to see. I don't think she liked the convertible as much because there was no reason to hang your head out the window.
Over the past year, I had officially turned Kayleigh into a country dog. For most of her adult life she lived in Chicagoland and the Springfield, MO area. In Chicago, you buy a permit to take your dog to the dog run and the doggy beach. For Kayleigh, we would take her to the dog run off Hobson Road near I-355.
For some reason Kayleigh became the official Walmart greeter of the dog run. It was so funny to watch. She would play with the pack of dogs always watchful for the next pup to come through the gate. The second that gate open, Kayleigh was the only dog engaged in a full sprint to check the new guy out. Of course the traditional butt smelling occurred, and then it was back to the pack.
This of course was one of the memories that was shared with me today. Of course there were the brownies she ate too. I didn't know she got a full pan of brownies until today. Silly dog was good at getting food.
There was also the grumpy side of Kayleigh. Not only did Kayleigh think she was the king of the dog run, she thought she owned the bed too. Before anyone else got comfortable, Kayleigh would push and prod her way to comfort. This of course was after she gave me my good night kiss which she would put her paw and chin on my chest and lick my lips. For some reason, her target was the lips. While it may not have always enjoyable, I am going to miss it.
So there was this big 65 pound dog pushing her way to comfort, and if you dared put a little to pressure to move he so you get comfortable in bed, Kayleigh would grunt and sigh as she eventually lost the battle, moving always further to the foot of the bed.
It's really the little things I am going to miss. She was a clown in her own right, which you can see in the above picture. She was fun to hang with, and the tears haven't stopped yet today.
Labels:
Kayleigh
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment