I recently suffered a great loss in my life when my seven year old Labrador Retriever named Kayleigh was taken from me too soon. She suffered a gunshot wound and stayed alive for five more days as I experienced the ups and downs of hope turned to sadness. We had so many more camping trips to go on, trails to hike, and just those special moments that a great dog can deliver. When Kayleigh died, there was a tremendous void felt, something I know every true dog lover who has had that one special companion understands.
Over the past week, I have reached out to many of my dog loving friends and learned the loss I felt wasn’t unique. One friend told me how he hated going home after his dog of 14 years, Chaos, passed away late last year. I knew how he felt. My home didn’t feel much like a home with Kayleigh’s tail wagging at 120 beats a minute threatening anything in its way.
So just a few days after she died and some prayers, I decided to visit C.A.R.E., also known as Canines and Cats, here in Ozark. C.A.R.E. is a no-kill animal shelter near Tracker Boats in Ozark. Though their great work and good hearts, my own heart started to heal. We are blessed in Ozark to have their services and the services of the volunteers that help give a few cats and dogs hope of a better day when they will find homes.
Everyday thousands of unwanted dogs and cats are euthanized in America. C.A.R.E. doesn’t subscribe to this practice. They try to give their dogs and cats a temporary happy home until a loving owner is found, and they don’t allow just anyone to adopt a pet. They are careful to make sure the pet gets the right match.
They need your help. It takes lots of money and volunteers to operate their facility. As well, many of their animals have spent too much of their lives without a home. Won’t you consider donating, volunteering, or possibly looking for your next pet there?
In honor of Kayleigh, I am going to give my new friend Maverick a home. Maverick is an energetic Labrador Retriever, which I plan to give a better life to. I can’t tell you what great joy I have found in such a short time by looking towards C.A.R.E. to find a new friend. I just want to thank them for their service to our community and their help in letting me honor Kayleigh through a pet adoption.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment